Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Day 3: Walnut Grove and Plum Creek

I was ecstatic to finally reach HWY 14/the Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Highway and jump on it at Mankato. There's nothing to see in Mankato (or Sleepy Eye, for that matter), but I know my siblings will recognize these town names from the TV show, so I note their passage on the historic Highway 14:). Walnut Grove, home of Michael Landon's infamous recreation of the Ingalls family, lies about halfway through Minnesota, and was where we were now headed. 
I have to admit this home site was initially a bit of a letdown. Off season or not, I think the staff was a bit underwhelmed by tourists. A bit too early in the season for that, eh? Now that I've been to De Smet and have had the privilege of meeting the assistant director of that site, as well as receiving our tour from her, I'd have to say the WG site has work to do in its welcome department!  I do tend to build things up in my head too much though, and I expected some enthusiasm for Laura and a sort of tete a tete with the gift shop personnel at least. I didn't get to do that in Pepin and I was slightly worked up as a result; however it didn't stop me from getting the most out of WG. 

The gift shop was like being in Laura heaven!  The usual array of fudgie paraphernalia (Michigan term for tourist) was on display and we just ate it up. Magnets, covered wagon pencil sharpeners, slates with pencils, tin cups/candy sticks Mr. Edward's style, and to my delight, matching bonnet and aprons sets - and yes, I bought one for myself. 

TV Show Memorabilia.  Hysterical!

And this:


As we piled up our gifts on the counter, our Laura hostess quietly punched the cash register while managing to make no eye contact with us. At the end, I timidly inquired if the famed dugout site up the road was open. She looked right up at me and I swear - she lied, saying with a sad tone - "no, too wet."  

A little background folks: when the Ingalls family came here seeking a new life, as depicted in On the Banks of Plum Creek, they stayed that first winter in a sod roofed dugout site literally dug into the side of a hill, and Laura played in the creek at its door, having fond memories of her times there, where she met "Nellie Oleson" (*spoiler alert!* in real life Nellie was a composite character of 3 snotty girls Laura knew, so it was here she actually met Nellie Owens). The land is now owned by a very kind family who allows fans to drive past their house to the site, asking only a $4 donation. I had been told by that thar lady from the gift shop museum two months previous that the site would be accessible if "not too wet."

When we pulled out of the gift shop, I pulled out my Little House Guidebook, which I should have touted to you before, and it gave me directions to the dugout site. 
The Little House "Bible" - don't leave home without it, I was told by THEM, and THEY were right!


had to at least take a photo of the entrance sign. It was closed, just like she said. 

Funny though, the road leading past the house, where it appeared that the owners were not at home, and all the way to the parking lot in front of the site, was completely dry. The creek was completely died down from the spring rush, the evidence clear upon the banks. The spot where the dugout sat has since caved in, but a large sign denoting the spot rests there, the roof of which is now roped off.

Dugout site - very cool and easy to imagine still standing. 
Plum creek flows happily in front, just as Laura described.   

My Laura and Mary, on the banks of Plum Creek. Like fo real

OTBOPC is Lucy's favorite book, so we had a little moment together imagining Laura at play in the creek and on the tableland beyond the dugout. The "wonderful house" Laura described is no longer, but we ruminated on the site where it once stood, and around the creek. You could totally imagine Laura playing in the swimming hole, deep but not too deep or Pa would tan her hide. 

Mollie and Josie not complying with family photo time. We should have tanned their hides. 

After everyone else had traipsed back over the bridge to the van,  Ellie and I read the markers alongside a trail that wound through battered down cornfields and made a loop back to the dugout. I would have liked to spend more time there but was starting to feel guilty for a trespassing of sorts. (Sarah Uthoff, forgive me!) I hope LIW fans can appreciate that we drove all this way and I was not about to skip the main point of Walnut Grove without seeing it!  Besides, the entire site was dry. We made up for it with a generous donation and off we went, my heart satisfied. 
The Walnut Grove home site is right on the side of the road, just off HWY 14, which made it easy to find, giving it a bit of a tourist trap feel.  Anyone who loves the TV show would be in heaven here, as there is LHOTP memorabilia for sale and signed copies of stars' biographies to photos and everything in between. 

The winds were really beginning to pick up now, getting only stronger as we moved westward, or as Joe calls it, "in a westerly direction."  It began to look and feel more prairie-like by the mile, as we eased toward De Smet, where my frenzied imagination was about to be satiated. 
My favorite family pic of the whole trip. 

3 comments:

  1. Heeeeere's Amy! We're you at least tempted to buy that?!
    - Marika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marika - of course I was! But I restrained myself to taking a photo. Good eye!

      Delete
  2. LOVE this post!!! And the friendly trespass (which obviously was in order), and the pics on the bank ... and everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete